– Air Ball: The ball misses the hoop and backboard entirely.
– Alley-oop: A high arc pass to a teammate in a position near the basket to leap and score.
– Alternating-possession rule: A rule in which teams take turns possessing the ball after stopped plays.
– Assist: A pass that sets up a score.
What are the lines on a basketball for?
The entire basketball court (see Figure 1) is 94 feet by 50 feet. On each half-court, painted lines show the free throw lane and circle, as well as the three-point arc, whose distance from the basket varies based on the level of hoops being played.
What are basketball goals called?
Technically, the goal or hoop refers to the orange rim that is mounted to the backboard, but in common language, the terms are used when people are referring to the complete sets that make up basketball systems.
What are the 5 main rules in basketball?
– The player must bounce, or dribble, the ball with one hand while moving both feet. …
– The basketball player can only take one turn at dribbling. …
– The ball must stay in bounds. …
– The players hand must be on top of the ball while dribbling.
Are lines in or out in basketball?
If a player steps on any part of the boundary lines or crosses the sidelines and baselines in any way, he is out of bounds. An inbounds pass for the other team at the spot of the infraction is the result of this turnover.
What are the terms of basketball?
A. Airball: A shot at the basket that misses everything and doesn’t touch the rim, backboard or net. Alley-Oop: When one player jumps and catches a pass from another player and simultaneously dunks the ball or shoots it in before landing. And One: When a player gets fouled while shooting and the ball goes in.
How do you measure the foul line in basketball?
For all courts the “foul line” distance is 15 feet from the foul line to the front of the backboard. This measurement is commonly confused as from the center of the basket and front of the rim. The Key (the Lane): The Key (also called the Lane) is different for Professional (NBA) and College/High School.
What are the 5 violations in basketball?
– Defensive three-second violation (Illegal defense) (penalized as a technical foul)
– Five-second rule.
– Shot clock violation.
– Time line violation, exceeding the time limit to reach the frontcourt (8- or 10-second violation)
– Three seconds rule (Lane violation)
What is the term for scoring in basketball?
Professional basketball is watched by millions more on TV. The game is played between two teams, with five players per team allowed on the court at any one time. Points are scored by getting the ball through a hoop called ‘the goal’ or ‘the basket’, and the team scoring the most points wins.
What is the best material for a basketball?
What is the 3 point line called in basketball?
What gas is inside a basketball?
What is the 4 called in basketball?
What are the 5 main lines on the basketball court?
– Mid Court Line.
– Three Point Line. Field Goals made from outside this Three Point Line or arc count as three points. …
– Free Throw Line. …
– Free Throw Circle.
– Lane Line. …
– Center Circle.
How far is the foul line in basketball?
How many rules are there in basketball?
Don’t forget to share this post !